Are you thinking of having an air purifier at home? Or are you concerned about the well-being of your pets?
There is nothing to worry about; we got all the information & tips for you. Today we came up with the question- are air purifiers safe for pets? We are going to cover all the details, researched information, and suggestions for answering the question. So, why wait longer? Let’s start.
Air Purifier’s Safety Verdict
Technically we can say that most air purifiers are safe for pets if used correctly. Cause some safe air purifiers can become dangerous if they are not used correctly. But first, you need to know how an air purifier works? How is it safe or unsafe for pets?
Mechanism of Air Purifiers
An air purifier is a device that automatically removes dust particles, contaminants, dander, pet fur, etc. from the air to improve the quality of indoor air. Let’s come to the point! How does an air purifier work? What is the mechanism behind it? Mainly, there are two types of technologies behind this.
- Active: This type of air purifier works by releasing negatively charged ions into the air. It causes contaminants to stick to surfaces.
- Passive: This type of air purifier use filters to remove contaminants. Purifiers with the passive system are more efficient as all the dust and contaminants get removed permanently from the air and are collected in the filters.
How Safe It Is for Pets
We said previously that air purifiers can be safe for pets if used correctly. Air purifiers are safe as it helps pets with fresh air. Like humans, they also can’t breathe in contaminated air. So, whenever the air purifier takes out all the contaminants from the air, the pets and humans get to inhale fresh, pure air.
How Bad It Is for Pets
As some purifiers are safe for pets, on the other hand, there are some which are unsafe. There are mainly two types of purifiers that are harmful to pets.
- Ozone Generators: Do not buy an ozone generator if you have pets in the house. This air purifier can cause harm to your pets, whether it is a cat, parrot, parakeet, or flying squirrel. Ozone generators are purely made for producing ozone to clean the air. Inhaling ozone is so dangerous for both humans and pets.
- Ionic Air Purifiers: Next on the list is ionic air purifiers or ionizers. These purifiers discharge ions which attach to air contaminants. While the procedure is going on, ozone is formed as a by-product. An ionizer is also harmful to birds as it produces too much oxygen for birds to inhale.
Precautions you need to know
If you need to buy an air purifier that is pet friendly, then you have to consider some precautions.
- Firstly, you should choose the one which is pet friendly.
- If you can’t have a pet-friendly purifier, then you need to ensure the safety by yourself.
- Whenever you use the air purifier, you need to take out pets from the room.
What Types Of Air Purifiers Are Safe For Pets
Considering the safe side of life, you have so many options in your hand. So, you really should not waste time looking at the unsafe options. Out of so many options, today, we will focus on just two types of purification technologies that are used explicitly for pets.
True HEPA Pet Air Purifiers
These devices use passive technology. These are mechanical devices that trap the contaminants r from the air by recirculating air through a filter. The filter is positioned in the core.
They are effective for trapping contaminants, dust, pet dander, etc. These purifiers also come with a combined activated carbon filter. Those are also quite good at eliminating pet odors.
These will help you to minimize litter dust, litter smells, and dander of pets.
Photocatalytic Oxidation (PCO) Air Purifiers
A PCO type purifier is the best air purifier for pretty much all indoor air cleaning, including pet dander. These purifiers use a highly concentrated UV-Light spectrum and titanium dioxide for destroying air contaminants and also to decompose the contaminants.
These purifiers can work in a large space. Like a span up to 3000 sq ft and can remove everything from pet dander to Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) and odors.
Benefits of Air Purifiers for Pets
An air purifier is meant to help you remove the contaminants from the air. It has benefits for humans, along with pets. Let us present some of the benefits.
- Pets do not have to inhale the bad smell.
- The harmful air pollutants can’t harm them anymore.
- Pure air helps to grow a better respiratory system.
- It helps your pet to avoid many respiratory diseases.
- Pure air keeps your pet healthier than before.
Frequently Asked Questions
Usually, we got many questions about purifiers. So here, we included some of the questions and along with the answers.
Are air purifiers a waste of money?
Can I put my air purifier on a table?
What is the best location for an air purifier?
Considering the detailed factors, benefits, and safety, we can say that you are the one to choose the best for you. If you have a pet in the house, then we can suggest you buy the pet-friendly one.
But we can’t say exactly which one is better between the Hepa or PCO purifiers. Our article- Are air purifiers safe for pets – have provided you all the details & will provide in the future. Now, you stick with us to get the best suggestions and solutions.