According to research, about 65 million people suffer from COPD, and 3 million die from it every year. Air purifiers keep your room clean from pollutants and allergens to help you breathe fresh air. However, changing the filter every few months can be frustrating, especially considering the recurring cost you’re paying. To eliminate that problem and get relief from the issue, washable filters do a great job saving your money big time.
If you’re planning to get a purifier with a washable filter, you need some expertise to understand which would be a bang for the buck. Our expert team has researched for you and came up with the best air purifier with washable filter in the market. Stick to the article to know your options and to get the best air purifier that you can rely on for years to come.
Are washable air filters good?
Using an air purifier can be a life-saving thing for a home, especially for people with respiratory issues. However, using the filter doesn’t mean it’s a one-time investment; it also requires you to replace it from time to time. However, a washable filter means you’re getting almost a one-time investment as you can wash it and reuse the same filter.
Although washing the filter is more time-consuming than replacing it, it’s fairly easy to do, and most of all, it saves your money. As far as efficiency goes, whether it’s a HEPA or an IFD filter, you can expect it to filter most pollutants, especially the big ones. It will easily filter out dust, hair, and other large pollutants but may not be the smallest ones. They are not as efficient at filtering bacteria, viruses, pet dander, or smoke, especially if you don’t take care of it meticulously.
Table of content:
Here is a quick navigation list for the air purifiers with washable filters we’ve selected and the rest of the article. You can click on them to navigate through the necessary part of the article you’re interested in:
If you’re short on time, here is a quick comparison chart for the air purifiers; you can get a quick idea about which item you need for your situation:
Air Purifier for Home or Office – Airdog X5 Ionic Air Purifier with Washable Filter
Blueair Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier 3 Stage with Two Washable Pre-Filters
Honeywell HFD320 AirGenius 5 Air Cleaner/Odor Reducer, Black
Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA, PlasmaWave and Odor Reducing Washable AOC Carbon Filter
SimPure Air Purifier for home & Office with HEPA FilterPARTU HEPA Air Purifier - Smoke Air Purifiers for Home with Fragrance Sponge
5 best air purifier with washable filter reviews 2020
Understanding which purifier is serving the best in the market requires expertise and in-depth research on them. According to our air purifier experts, here are the 5 best air purifier with washable filters in them which you can rely on today:
1. Air Purifier for Home or Office – Airdog X5 Ionic Air Purifier with Washable Filter
The Airdog X5 ionic air purifier is surely a beast that can filter and kill 99.99% of the microscopic pollutants down to 0.0146 microns. Its 5-layer filters and ionic wind technology can capture pet dander, pollen, smoke, dust mites, odor, viruses, or bacteria, and kill them in no time. Furthermore, you can wash the entire filtration layers even with a dishwasher, making it the best air purifier with reusable filter system.
It’s the best purifier for office environments, especially if you have a large space because it can filter a big area in a short time without noise. You will get a 1400 sq. ft. of filtration in an hour, 700 sq. ft. twice, or 450 sq. ft. 3 times an hour of complete filtration. With a CADR rating of 200 CFM and 6 different operating methods make it even more reliable for profound clean air circulation.
You’ll get an LED monitor for a real-time update about the air quality so that you can take the purification higher or lower. To control it, you’ll get a remote controller or wireless app control feature for the utmost convenience operating it. The V-0 fireproof design, child-lock technology, 4 collection plates, compound catalysts make it the best air purifier with washable filter.
Air Purifier for Home Features:
- This machine comes with 5 layers of filters to kill 99.99% microscopic pollutants.
- The filters are washable and dishwasher-friendly for effortless cleaning.
- It has an LED monitor for showing the real-time update of the air quality.
- You can use it with the included remote controller or with a smartphone app.
- It can clean 1400 sq. ft. once and 450 sq. ft. 3 times per hour with CADR 200 CFM.
2. Blueair Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier 3 Stage with Two Washable Pre-Filters
The Blueair Blue Pure 211+ Air Purifier is a versatile machine with 3 stages of filtration technology, including HEPA, carbon filter, and fabric pre-filter. They can sterilize the room from 99% of pollutants, including dust, pollen, mites, smoke, odor, VOCs, allergens, pet dander, and viruses.
It can clean 161 sq. ft. rooms 5 times an hour with a CADR rating of 350 CFM and the AHAM certification. However, what makes it the best air purifier for pets large rooms, home or office is its capability of cleaning up to 540 sq. ft. a room with its 360° filtration system.
With that much power in it, it’s deliberately quieter than usual between 31 to 56 decibels featuring variable fan speed settings. You can wash the fabric pre-filter of this air purifier and change it depending on esthetics to match a color scheme. Or, even can leave it unattached to get a vintage Scandinavian look to it.
Blueair Blue Pure Features:
- This machine can clean 99% of the airborne pollutants, including viruses and smoke.
- It has a 3 stages filtration technology including HEPA, activated carbon, and a pre-filter
- You can wash the pre-filters, change them for matching esthetics, or even detach them.
- The suction fans have 3 levels of speed for the air intake with 360° take-in.
- It makes a very low noise for a noise-less sleeping only with 31 to 56 dB while running.
3. Honeywell HFD320 AirGenius 5 Air Cleaner/Odor Reducer, Black
The Honeywell airgenius 5 air cleaner can clean up to 99.9% of the airborne pollutants like virus, dander, germs, odor, VOCs that are 0.3 microns or more. It can clean the air 5 times an hour with an ifD filter and two pre-filters. You can wash the main filter and a pre-filter 4 times a year and stay fresh all the time.
It’s filtration level settings will help you control the fan speed and cleaning speed with 5 levels where the 5th level cleans even smoke and smell. This feature makes it the best air purifier and odor reducer along with a timer setting. You can set it for 2 to 12 hours on the timer, and it will do the rest.
You’ll get the oscillation feature for effective cleaning, and get alert when it’s time to check the filters and clean them. The machine doesn’t fall short in coverage because of the high-end technologies; it can clean a 250 sq. ft room with AHAM and ARB certification.
Honeywell HFD320 Features:
- The airgenius filter can clean a 25 sq. ft. room 5 times an hour for effective cleaning.
- Its HFD filter and one of the two pre-filters are washable (4 times a year) and reusable.
- There are 5 air purification levels on this machine for low to high levels of cleaning.
- It can clean 99.9% of the airborne pollutants and allergens sized 0.3 microns or more.
- You can set it on a timer for 2 to 12 hours with a touch-capacitive control panel.
4. Winix 5500-2 Air Purifier with True HEPA, PlasmaWave and Odor Reducing Washable AOC Carbon Filter
The Winix 5500-2 air purifier can capture up to 99.97% of the airborne pollutants and allergens in your room. It’s an air purifier true HEPA filter to reduce the dust, mold, pollen, viruses, and more, sized at 0.30 microns or more. The AOC carbon filter and an advanced pre-filter combined make it the best odor reducing air purifier by reducing smoke.
You can wash the filters with water and reuse them for a long time without replacing the filtration system. Its PlasmaWave technology helps it to cover a large area of 360 sq. ft. and effectively reduce the harmful particles from the house. The machine comes with 4 fan speed levels and uses it in sleep mode at only 27.8 dB whisper-quiet noise.
With its auto-timer setting, you can set the machine on schedule for 1, 4, or 8 hours and it will automatically turn off. You can also set it on auto mode to help it determine how much purification is necessary. Furthermore, you can keep an eye on the air quality in your room with its air quality sensor with different indicators.
Winix 5500 Features:
- This air purifier machine comes with auto-schedule settings for 1, 4, or 8 hours.
- It has an air quality sensor to show you if the air in your room is healthy or not.
- There are 3 layers of filters, and you can wash them when they get nasty to reuse them.
- You’ll get 4 fan speed with sleep mode, which has a whisper-quiet noise level of 27.8 dB.
- It can reduce allergens and pollutants up to 99.94% sized 0.30 microns or more.
5. SimPure Air Purifier for home & Office with HEPA Filter
The SimPure Air Purifier comes with a 5-stage filtration technology, including the cold catalyst, antibacterial filter, carbon filter, true HP3 HEPA filter, with a pre-filter. These filters enable it to reduce up to 99.97% of pollutants that are 0.30 microns big or more, including dander, smoke, odor, and more.
What makes it truly the best air purifier for pollen is the ozone-free design, which is much safer for asthma patients and children. For those who’re concerned for their babies, it’s a quiet machine with 23 dB whisper-quiet noise level along with sleep mode to help your child.
With its variable 4-level fan speed and 0-8 hours of timer mode, you can truly customize it for the maximum output and clean air. It also comes with a filter replacement indicator to let you know when to wash the pre-filter and reset them. Furthermore, you’re getting a touch panel for a convenient controlling experience for this purifier.
SimPure Air Purifier Features:
- This machine can clean 99.97% of pollutants, and allergens sized down to 0.30 microns.
- It works with 5-layer antibacterial filtration with a filter-replacement indicator.
- You’ll get 4 fan speed levels with sleep mode, and the noise level is 23 dB whisper-quiet.
- It comes with a smart schedule mode for 0-8 hours of automatic timer setting.
- To control the machine, you’ll get a full touch-capacitive control panel with
Why Use an Air purifier Washable Filters?
Using an air purifier, in general, has a ton of advantages, especially if you’re concerned about your respiratory health. However, the biggest issue with a regular air purifier is that you have to change the filters every few months, which can be expensive. Here are some of the most important reasons why you should go for an air purifier with washable filters:
- Using an air purifier with washable filters will reduce your cost of buying new filters every few months. The replacement filters may cost you $20 to $200, which can be a big issue for most users.
- Another reason to get a purifier with a washable filter is that it can sometimes be hard to find the right replacement filters. The manufacturer might go out of service after purchasing the purifier, and you end up dumping the machine for no good reason.
- Sometimes, the washable filters can catch more pollutants, allergens, and dander, especially dust pollen. However, try to get the filter rated for capturing allergens sized at 1.0 microns or more.
- They are easier to maintain and use because you can throw it inside the dishwasher, dry it, and reuse it. For that, you have to see if the filter is dishwasher friendly and easily comes out and fits in.
How do you clean an air purifier washable filter?
Getting an air purifier with reusable filters and using it can be a cheaper and better way to own a healthier breathing area. However, you must keep the reusable filters clean to get the most out of it. Here is a guideline on cleaning the washable filter and reusing it properly for years without any issues:
Use the automatic indicator
Most of the air purifiers with washable filtered in them come with a filter replacement indicator. The indicator will let you know when it’s time to reset, wash, or replace the filter in the machine. It usually triggers when the airflow through the filter cannot pass freely. You can then take the machine apart and clean the inside along with the filter.
Don’t just rely on the indicator
Your machine comes with a filter reset indicator; that doesn’t mean you should entirely rely on it to notify you for a maintenance job. You must keep track of the filtration cycle of your machine, depending on where you live. If you’re living in an area where wildfire, dust, and pollutants are widely available, you may wash it every 3-4 months. Keeping that in mind, open the lid every 3 months and manually inspect if the filter needs a cleaning job.
Opening the machine
When you know it’s time to clean the filters, opening the purifier is the first step to doing the job. To open the purifier, get the manufacturer’s manual of the purifier and see how to open the lid. If there are screws, unscrew them, take the front part apart and take the pre-filter and the carbon filter off before the main filter.
Cleaning the right way
After opening the purifier, it’s time to clean the filters, and you should know the right process. Some washable air purifier filters are dishwasher-friendly, so you can clean them much easier only by throwing it into the dishwasher. If the filter isn’t dishwasher friendly, it should be okay with soapy water; in that case, clean it accordingly. However, be sure not to go hard on the filer and bend it here and there to damage it.
Drying and inserting it again
Once you complete the cleaning job, take your time to dry it thoroughly before putting it back into the purifier. If you reuse a wet filter, it may become a bummer, develop mold spores inside, and eventually damage the filter. Give it at least an hour to dry under the daylight for the best output from it in the long run.
Frequently asked questions
Here are the most frequently asked questions about air purifiers with washable and reusable filters that you might find interesting:
Can you wash and reuse air purifier filters?
How long do washable air filters last?
How often should you clean a reusable air filter?
According to the WHO and EPA, household air is more polluted than the air outside, and it’s a severe issue. Using an air purifier is a great approach to get pure air inside your home, especially the kitchen and bedroom. However, depending on where you live and how much pollutants you deal with, you have to change the filters often unless you use a reusable filter system.
I’ve listed the best air purifier with washable filters in them, and I hope you found the one you’re looking for. Nonetheless, if you’re still confused about getting the best purifier overall, I’d suggest you get the Airdog X5 Ionic Air Purifier. It can clean up to 99.99% of the every-known type of airborne pollutants sized down to 0.0146 microns. You can wash the filter in a dishwasher and reuse the purifier for years to come without any issues.